Manujothi Ashram

Photograph was taken while Bro. & Sis. were in Ashram

How It Came Into Being

In simple terms an ‘Ashram’ is an Indian word meaning – A religious and social service centre for people to lead a dedicated and consecrated life for God having a deeper spiritual connection with God. It is a place of religious retreat and community life. It is similar to a Monastery or a Hermitage.  Manujothi, the name given to the Ashram, literally means: The Divine Light to mankind collectively (Manu – Mankind, Jothi –True Light – John 1:9).  In fact this name Manujothi was first given as the middle name to Deva-Evu the eldest son of Bro. Lawrie by Mr. Deva Rasiah, Bro. Lawrie’s father at his christening in 1949.

Being service minded, Mr. Rasiah had helped many to the best of his ability during his stay at Sri Lanka.  He had harboured a desire to establish an orphanage to support the fatherless, the destitutes and widows.  He had disclosed this desire to his son Paulaseer Lawrie.  But due to the circumstances this desire of Mr. Rasiah did not materialize. A vague notion in the minds of the Lawries to have an Ashram as part of the ministry had it’s beginning as far back as 1956, when they were on their second Sri Lanka tour at Maruthana Madam. Here they came across an Ashram for both, boys and girls. It was the Chundukuli Ashram, at Jaffna. They liked the way it was functioning, by training young people in the service of God. They thought this was a good idea, but left it at that and waited on God’s leading whether to also establish one.

Five years later this desire of the Lawries materialized. Manujothi Ashram was started right in the home of Bro. Lawrie in 1961 at 19, Khan Sahib Street, Choolaimedu, Chennai – 600 024 when young men and women came for full-time ministry. It was too burdensome for the family and it required more space to accommodate the men and women who wanted to be trained in the service of the Lord. Therefore Bro. Lawrie was looking for a suitable place to shift the Ashram. Mr. Rasiah, Bro. Lawrie’s father, had some ready cash, earned while he was working in Sri Lanka. His family members and friends advised him to invest part of it in real estate. He bought a piece of land, about 53 acres, near the little town of Mukkudal, in Tirunelveli District, located about 25 kilometres from Tirunelveli to the West.

Even at that time, 53½ acres was considered quite a large tract of land. Mr. Rasiah put in much labour to make this land yield. There were three wells within the limits and a small mud-banked reservoir to collect the rainwater during the monsoon season. The wells were nearly dry and the rain was scarce. Mr. Rasiah utterly failed to realize even part of his investment in the land. He found himself in a situation that called for a considerable amount of money. His efforts to raise a loan failed, so he wanted to dispose of this land investment which was actually draining his savings. When he searched for a buyer, to his dismay he could only get offers for very much less than his asking price. No one wanted to buy this unproductive piece of land. This happened when Bro. Lawrie was conducting meetings at the S.I.A.A. grounds in Madras, the great campaigns, where hundreds of thousands attended in 1961. When he came to know of his father’s plans for getting rid of the land, Bro. Lawrie offered to buy it for the ministry. Mr. Rasiah did not want to sell it to him, maybe thinking it would be bad investment for Bro. Lawrie.

When he was between two opinions about selling the land a watchman-cum-farmhand was looking after the holding. Suddenly two children of the watchman staying on the land died of snake bite and this made Mr. Rasiah to realize that it was a mistake for him to refuse to sell this land to his son. Except for a cattle shed, there were no buildings on this site. The Lawries raised some funds by selling the jewellery people had offered, in token of gratitude for the blessings they experienced in the meetings. From this, the money was given to Mr. Rasiah, to help him tide over his financial difficulties. He in turn gave the 53½ acres of land to his son and documented the deal in 1962, to read that it was gifted away for God’s work. They also could buy a jeep from the remainder of these funds. This was the only type of vehicle that could travel the rough terrain in and around the Ashram site. The Ashram was shifted from Chennai to the present campus in 1962.

Except for a cart track, there was no link to the outside world from this Ashram site. The nearest Post Office is at Odaimarichan, 2½ Kilometers (1½ miles) away, and the Telegraph Office, Mukkudal, at a distance of 6 Kilometres (4 miles). One could contact the Ashram by telephone from Mukkudal. It was in fact a miracle to get a telephone connection for just one line to an interior place about 6 Kilometres (4 miles) from the exchange. The nearest Railway station is at Tirunelveli, 25 Kilometers (15 miles) away. An Aerodrome exists at Madurai, a city about 160 Kilometers (100 miles) to the North and another at Trivandrum also at about 100 miles distance to the Ashram to the West. There is one near Tuticorin at Vaagaikulam  about 55 Kilometers south (35 miles). This would give the reader an idea of its remoteness. All round this Ashram is rolling, parched grassland studded with sturdy, straight Palmyra trees.

Bro. Lawrie named this location as ‘Sathia Nagar’, which means ‘City of truth,’ a city in the wilderness from where unadulterated truths from the Bible would flow to the ends of the earth. After acquiring the land, the Lawries still had their headquarters at Chennai for two more years where they were continued to hold large scale meetings. They would visit the Ashram now and then. Though some beginning was made immediately on the acquisition of the land, it was a Herculean task to tame the wild land into a place of habitation. To this 53½ acres of wild land an adjacent plot of 10 acres was later acquired and added. Water in the three wells was inadequate. They were dry for more than six months of the year.  Bro. Lawrie prayed to the Lord and took some water and poured into the three wells in the name of Jesus.  Thereafter there was a good spell of heavy rains that raised the ground-water level and filled the wells.  The water in the wells has been sufficient since then for the 300 odd inmates for all their needs, and to irrigate the fields as well, even in years when severe drought condition prevailed in many places nearby.

It is said that Mr. Rasiah had a dream a week or so before he died. In that he saw a tall Palmyra tree with its luxuriant head of leaves standing proudly erect on the land. But an angel came down and announced that he was cutting down this tree as it yielded no fruit. As it fell to his axe, a banyan tree sprouted at its place and grew till it spread it branches and covered the earth. When he woke up the next morning, the old man tried to find an explanation to this unusual dream, and came out with his view that his son, Lawrie who owned that property, would die, and someone else would take possession of it. On the contrary, Mr. Rasiah passed away shortly after he had his dream. From the happenings subsequent to his death, it appears that the old man was shown in that parable sort of dream how his son’s ministry would cover the entire world. After the Lord came down in Chicago, U.S.A. in 1969 on the person of Bro. Lawrie, the Manujothi Ashram attained international significance.

Opposition And Suffering

A one-room apartment was built and was dedicated on February 1, 1963. The first person to be entrusted with the physical and spiritual care of the Ashram and its labourers was a young man, Bro. S. Thomas Wesley. He was an Engineer in the Hindustan Aircraft Ltd., Bangalore. He relinquished his remunerative job and offered himself for full-time work in the ministry. He had to endure many hard-ships and much privation. He had to depend on the roots (tubers) of the Palmyra palm for food and the sweet juice of this palm trees for nourishment since the money sent to him by Bro. Lawrie from Chennai did not reach him properly due to obstacles caused by those who were antagonistic about the creation of the Ashram. Through all these hardships not a word of murmur came from him.

Wherever God’s work prospers, the devil has his agents to try and thwart the people engaged in God’s work. One such agent was the postmaster of Singamparai, through whose office the Ashramites had their mails routed. This official, a Roman Catholic, for reasons better known to him, would not cause the delivery of any letters.  Even money orders were not delivered but returned to the persons who sent them, with the post master’s remarks that there was no institution within his postal range by the name Manujothi Ashram. This caused great hardship to the inmates of which Bro. Thomas and those with him were the worst affected. The old cattle-shed was converted into living quarters so that more people could stay. Later another Brother Enos joined, who looked after poultry-farming and bee-keeping. A lady Doctor, Dr. (Miss) Oliver, resigned her job and gave herself up for full-time work in the ministry. She was a Medical Officer in the Government of Madras State (Tamil Nadu) at the time of her resignation. She also came over to the Ashram.

The strict code that were being adhered to and observed at the home of Bro. Lawrie was made the Code for Consecrated life in the Manujothi Ashram which was to become less and less severe some years later since the number of people increased and also due to the hardness of some of the people.  This code was published in the book called “How to Lead a Successful Faith Life”. Bro. Thomas was later transferred from Manujothi Ashram to Vellore to look after the center there and also at Chittoor.  Thereafter Bro. A.G.E. Ravikumar, a student of the Madras Medical College left his education in the middle to serve God at the Ashram. A few others joined this little band at the Ashram. This team put up another small building with three rooms – one for the ladies, one for the visitors and another for general use.

Villagers began to attend the prayer meetings in the Ashram and many sick persons came to be prayed for healing. When a regular Bible study programme was chalked out, a few young men came to the Ashram and stayed here for the full course. The inmates of the Ashram were also involved in their daily duties. They cooked their frugal food – mostly Kanji (Porridge made out of rice). Ever since this bit of wilderness was dedicated to the Lord’s ministry, there was a vast transformation. Slowly improvements were made on the land. When more people came, cultivation of the fields had to be improved. That required more water. Bullocks were used to haul water from the wells which was tedious. To tide over this, they petitioned their requirements to the Lord in prayer. Since there was enough water in the well they could have a pump coupled to a diesel engine installed to pump water. Two paid farmers were recruited to handle the food production side.

Main Purposes For The Ashram

Bro. Paulaseer Lawrie had a deep conviction in the process of Discipleship by leaving everything and following Christ fully.  Jesus Christ emphasized very much on leaving everything and following Him.  But John the Baptist did not have the message to call people to leave everything.  Bro. Lawrie was teaching the believers of the importance of leaving everything.  When hundreds and hundreds of people with passion for souls came forward with divine calling and unction of the Holy Spirit to leave their all and serve the Lord fully, there was a need to instill Faith into them and train them in the ministry.  The purpose of the Ashram was to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ and train the inmates for a dedicated and consecrated spiritual life with God which involves the following principles.

  1. To Have entire faith in the full, plenary inspiration of the Holy Scriptures as the only rule of life
  2. To Deny themselves and follow Jesus Christ, taking up their crosses
  3. To Please God by voluntarily living a life of faith that depends upon Him totally
  4. To Preach the most Glorious Word of Truth with Love unfeigned
  5. To Proclaim the True Righteousness of God under the Blood of the Lamb
  6. To Be free from the blood of all men by declaring the whole counsel of God
  7. To Endure hardness as good soldiers of Christ, nourished up in the words of faith
  8. To Love the people of all religions and cater to their genuine spiritual needs
  9. To Help the poor, needy and destitutes and do social service (James 1: 27)
  10. To Study and understand the books of other religions and find out what they say about Christ, End time, Millennial rule and etc. (Acts 17: 22-28, Titus 1: 12)

 This required a remote place far from habitation and disturbance so that the inmates could be free from the cares of this worldly life. Since the Ashram had developed enough, it became the ideal place fulfilling all the requirements necessary to train people for faith life and the ministry.  Writing in the ‘Nambikaiyin Thoothan’ (Tamil Journal), Bro. Lawrie spelled out the purpose of the Ashram as “…. to select workers for villages, train them in the Ashram and send them to villages to preach the gospel so that the Kingdom of God may go on spreading”.

In a later issue (1965), he has written, “The objects of the Manujothi Ashram are to spread the Light of Jesus Christ from the Ashram throughout the world, to support the poor and the forlorn, to help rehabilitate reformed prisoners and channeling the burning zeal of youngsters to serve God”. Bro. Lawrie wanted to make the volunteers fit for independent work in villages and to pray for the sick and the devil-possessed, in the name of Jesus. His experience in life was an object lesson for these trainees. Facilities were provided for such people who wished to fast, pray or meditate. In short, the Lawries desired that the Ashram must be a center of training for various workers – men and women – and subsequently send them out to work with faith in the villages, not depending on any human resources, but totally committing themselves to God’s care.

The inmates of the Ashram were also sent out in the pattern of the word, two by two, to preach the gospel in the villages. They invariably walked to these villages and had very little money on them. They went out into the world with faith and preached the gospel, going from one village to the other, and were away from the Ashram even for a week at a stretch. Returning they witnessed how their needs were wonderfully met by the Lord. Thus they were made to grow in faith life from strength to strength. Some rich persons who owned lands adjacent to the site hated the idea of an Ashram there which they thought would undermine their importance. So they instigated their farm hands to create problems and give no peace to the Ashramites. They even made attempts to take the land by force or by vile. They were only fighting against God’s super plans, and they were thoroughly confounded.

Some people, who hated the existence of the Ashram, even resorted to witchcraft to disrupt its smooth functioning. As the evil power was persistently trying to project itself into the inmates, Bro. Lawrie undertook a ten-day fast asking God for divesting the Ashram Campus of the evil spirits. On the final day of the fast, he took a glass of water after prayer and sat in front of the Bethany House (main building) watching the two turkeys picking the crumbs near there. As he prayed that the demon power must be cast out of this Ashram, the evil power left after attacking the two turkeys which fell dead.  Ever since there has been a great relief in the Ashram.

A landmark of historical importance is the stone Mandapam (A resting place made out of stone pillars, stone planks and stone floors.) with a well right at the entrance to the Ashram. This is believed to Have been built in the days of Rani Mangamma (about A.D. 1700) who ruled Madurai and its environs. This was meant to give shelter and water to the travelers. When there were no buildings at the Ashram site, this Mandapam was used for meditation and prayers. As the Ashram developed, over the years, more land was acquired and more wells were added to the three original wells.

By now the Ashram and its activities had come to be known to people outside the country through the publications mailed world over. A few readers evinced enough interest that they came over here. Among them were Bro. & Sis. Otto Buess, Switzerland; Bro. Ewald Frank, Germany; and Sis. Goebels, a Missionary from Germany at Bangalore. The first one-room apartment built on the site was named after this Missionary lady as ‘Goebel Hall’. This was rebuilt and renamed as ‘Bethany Home’. Now it is called the ‘Zion Home’ where the Lawries are put up.

Headquarters Shifted To Ashram

Bro. Lawrie shifted his headquarters to the Ashram in 1964. It must be told here how this came about. After Bro. Lawrie’s return to India in l960 when the great campaigns began in Madras and went on to the other parts of the country, his popularity grew to great heights. He was so revered that he could not send his shirts to the laundry, as they would be taken as a prize (Acts 19: 12). Whenever he went to the barber to have his hair cut, his hair was scooped up and kept by others.  People wanted even his shadow to fall on them so that they could be healed (Acts 5: 15).

One time when Bro. Lawrie was laying hands and praying for the sick after the meeting, his watch strap broke and fell down.  A brother in Christ took a piece of that watch-band and later was conducting healing ministry, praying for the sick holding the watch-band inside his hand. At this time many of the church leaders who had earlier tried to suppress him now embraced him because of his popularity. Bro. Lawrie was not in favour of Infant Baptism and the Trinitarian Baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost since he was convinced that the Baptism by immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ was correct and according to the Bible. He was baptized in 1960 by Bro. William Branham in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Therefore the Christian groups which believed in baptism in the name of Jesus Christ supported him. With all this new support from the Christian groups, it looked like the ministry was now a great success. But this development was not pleasing to God. Bro. Lawrie was becoming more and more entwined with the church establishments who wanted to control the meetings. Suddenly one night God spoke to him and told him, if he did not leave Chennai immediately He would kill him. Alarmed, the Lawries left Madras city immediately and shifted their headquarters to the Manujothi Ashram in the wilderness area in the South. The cattle-shed which was converted as living quarters at the Ashram became the home of the Lawries. This brought a lot of criticism toward him from those who were trying to exploit his popularity in the big meetings. Again the slander against Bro. Lawrie started with many false accusations.

During summer holidays and other holidays, the eldest son Deva-Evu used to stay at the Ashram and return to Chennai for studies after the holidays. He could then understand how difficult life was in the Ashram then with very few people staying there in the undeveloped wilderness. A printing press donated by a supporter of the ministry was set up here. It played an important role in printing thousands of tracts, and millions of campaign notices. Visitors from Germany and Switzerland became interested in the ministry and came from time to time to visit the Ashram. Regular Camp Meetings were conducted under huge thatched sheds. People in large numbers attended these meetings from all parts of India. As the Ashram developed, new blocks with many rooms were added. The rooms were built with raw bricks (unburnt) which were moulded by the inmates themselves. The plastering was done with cement mixed with sand.  Most of the work was done by the inmates of the Ashram voluntarily.  Day by day the number of inmates who had dedicated their lives to God increased.

Community living was adopted as the way of life in the Ashram in fulfilment of Psalm 133:1 “How good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!” It was the belief that the communal living helps to take away the Self-life, which is a hindrance to spiritual growth. Community life also could remove the rough edges in a person and round the corners to make him fit for the ministry. In 1966 when Deva-Evu Lawrie came into the full-time ministry to help his father, he used to take care of the Ashram with the help of fellow brethren whenever the parents were away together for ministry.  He is a witness to almost everything of importance that happened in the Ashram those days. They were a great lesson to him in the administration and conduct of the Ashram.

When there was a surge of people from other countries coming to the Ashram in the early 1970s, two branches of the Manujothi Ashram were opened. One in Gandhinagar and the other in Tuticorin, a port town, about 40 miles away from Tirunelveli on the sea-shore. Daily living among the inmates was a life free from worries, fear and reproach. Bro. Lawrie wanted all his three sons to get involved in the ministry and also in the Ashram Work and continue the work. Therefore in 1973, he created a Trust to administer the Ashram. He bequeathed all the properties in the name of Manujothi Ashram Trust and made all the three sons as Trustees of Manujothi Ashram of which the Eldest son was to be the managing trustee.

Prayer Life In The Ashram

Bro. Lawrie always emphasized on personal prayer life and meditation for the believers and the Ashramites.  The secret of prayer is prayer in secret.  Therefore Bro. Lawrie used to pray alone in the nights.  Many times when Deva-Evu Lawrie woke up in the middle of the nights in his younger days, he had found Bro. Lawrie on his knees praying.] Next to personal prayer, he insisted on everyone including all his family members rising up early in the morning everyday and praying and praising the Lord from 5 am to 6 am. There was an element of compulsion when he dealt with his family members. This is because Abraham too commanded his children and household after him to keep the way of the Lord to do justice and judgment in order that the promised blessings of God might come upon him and his family (Genesis 18: 19). 

According to him, the best time to worship God was early in the morning.  King David gave the Lord always the First and the Best (Psalm 63: 1, Proverbs 8: 17). When we worship the Lord the first thing in the morning, we give the Lord the best time too.  When we give the Lord the first place we receive the first rate blessings from the Lord. Bro. Lawrie instructed the believers throughout the world to adhere to this practice. In India the believers rise up early wherever they are and pray.  Every one knows that all the people in the ministry; in India would be praying and praising God with them at the same time.  In the Ashram one could always hear the sound of praying, praising and singing in the prayer hall.

Hourly Chain prayers were instituted for the inmates of the Ashram family by family and also room-wise throughout day and night. Since all the inmates had come voluntarily to serve God, it was not taken as a burden, but a great pleasure.  There were all night prayers every night separately for men and women.  Throughout the night one could hear the sound of praising and singing and feel the anointing of the Spirit. Their slogan was “Praise the Lord of hosts: for the Lord is good; for His mercy endureth for ever” (Jeremiah 33: 11) together with “Victory in the blood of Jesus Christ”.


In the year 1972, there was a turning point concerning the Sabbath.  We in India had been keeping Sunday as the rest day according to the prevalent Christian Traditions for many years. Bro. Paulaseer Lawrie taught that the observance of Sunday as Sabbath was not in keeping with the tenets of the Word of God. According to him the Seventh day is the day ordained by the Lord God Himself personally to be the Sabbath and that no Angel, Apostle, Prophet, Church or any man has any right to change it to their convenience.  Even neither Jesus Christ nor the Apostles changed the Sabbath Day. Therefore he restored the original observance of the Jewish Sabbath ever since from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset in the Ashram. During that period, we did not cook nor do any servile work. But were rejoicing in the Lord and the ministry. It has been a blessing always and not a burden. This practice spread among the believers throughout the world. Of course there was common worship every morning and evening at the Ashram apart from the hourly chain praises and all-night prayers.

Memorable Camp Meetings

The first Camp Meeting to be held at Sathia Nagar (Manujothi Ashram) was planned for three days, in January 1965. Bro. Lawrie in faith saw to it that a big Pandal (temporary tent made of bamboo poles and palm leaves often used for weddings and large gatherings) was put up, and facilities provided. The meetings were arranged to fulfill Mark 6:31 which says, “Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest awhile”. So the meetings were mainly for those in towns and cities. Against all anticipation and against all the wishes of people who thought nobody would come, large crowds came from different parts of India arriving in buses, jeeps, bullock carts and etc. It was like the Israelites’ camp in the wilderness. The Pandal looked like a Tabernacle. Is. 35:1 which says, “The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing”, was actually fulfilled.

The hand of God which fed Israelites in the wilderness and which fed five thousand out of five loaves was seen at work. There was no deficiency at all. God also fulfilled I Kings 17:16 which says, “The barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the Word of the Lord, which he spake by Elijah”. There were many unseen blessings of the Lord in the meetings. On the last day of the meeting, there was a mighty outpouring of the Holy Ghost. It was found very difficult to end the meetings. A lady from Chennai attending this series had this vivid vision: “On the last day of the meeting at night, when Brother Lawrie was right in front of everybody, the pandal was filled with some kind of smoke. ‘Why are they burning incense?’ I shouted. But suddenly my eyes were opened and I saw the glory of God filling the entire tabernacle, and it surrounded everyone,”  she said. When there was a surge of people from other countries coming to the Ashram, two branches of the Manujothi Ashram were opened. One in Gandhinagar and the other in Tuticorin, a port town, about 40 miles away from Tirunelveli on the sea-shore.

The subsequent Camp Meetings, wherever they were held, was on this line but on larger scales. In January 1966, the camp meetings took place again at Sathia Nagar (Manujothi Ashram). Many from all over India attended those meetings.  This was just after the death of Bro. William Branham on December 24, 1965. In the 1966 January camp meetings Brother Ewald Frank, (leader of the Branham groups in Germany) came to India and attended as one of the speakers. Bro. Frank informed us about the circumstances leading to the sad demise of Bro. William Branham on December 24, 1965. It was in the same year that the Lawries met Bro. Oral Roberts when he visited India and had meetings at Trivandrum.

The 1967 Camp Meetings was held at Thayanur, a village near the town Tiruchirappalli – about 200 miles from the Ashram (320 Kilometres). At the camp meetings Bro. Gnanpragasam of Vellore prophesied and said, the Lord was going to use Bro. Lawrie mightily in Germany. In 1969, Camp Meetings And Conference arranged by The Paulaseer Lawrie Evangelistic Team was held at White Memorial Hall Compound at Egmore, Chennai from 10 to 19 January.  Believers from states all over India attended those meetings.  There were preachers from the North too.  Pastors James Morar, A.N. Jonah, G.V. Titus, William Das, Emmanuel Das were among the prominent ones. Bro. Paulaseer Lawrie and Bro. Ewald Frank of Germany were the main speakers.  Dr. Leigh Vayle of USA, a close associate of Bro. Branham was to take part in those meetings as one of the main speakers.  But since he had problems getting his visa for India in time, he could not make it to the meetings.

There was a great anointing of the Holy Spirit in those meetings and all were blessed very much.  One of those nights towards the end there was an all-night prayer and many attended.  When the people started singing the song titled, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” composed by Bro. Lawrie in Tamil, the Power of God descended and the people were praising God, speaking in tongues and shouting with Joy throughout the night.  It was really a memorable night.  Many Full-time workers claimed that they could carry the anointing to their respective prayer centres and continue. Since many people were present, there was a shortage of food one of those days during the meetings.  The rice that was cooked seemed to be insufficient and there was a big shortage.  When it was brought to the notice of Bro. Lawrie, he went to the kitchen to pray and blessed the rice. Immediately a miracle happened. The rice heap was increasing into a large heap right in front of the eyes of the people who stood there watching.  There was surplus food for all those who were gathered.

Meetings were held at Vellore also and many believers were gathered. This was after the Moon-landing experience in 1969 and therefore people were gathered with great expectations to listen to the messages preached concerning God Coming Down. In the year 1970 from January 10 – 20 Camp Meetings were held at the Manujothi Ashram Camp Grounds.  In 1971, Camp-Meetings were held at the big Town Hall of Vellore. Many came to hear the Word of God. After the arrival of the Foreigners from many countries, Camp-Meetings were arranged in the Manujothi Ashram Campus in 1972.  Many from all over India attended.  The Foreigners in Gandhinagar were all given rooms in the Ashram for the Camp-meetings.  It was a great blessing.

After the Camp-meetings, the foreigners did not want to go back to Gandhinagar, but decided to stay in the Ashram itself even though life in the Ashram was difficult without electricity and other basic facilities.  They had to use kerosene lamps. During their stay, it was always like Camp-meetings everyday since more than 300 inmates would gather for worship. In the 1980s Camp-meetings started taking place at the Ashram usually from 15 to 22 of July every year.  People from all over India and abroad attended those meetings to learn of the new revelations given out by Bro. Lawrie.  Those gatherings of believers proved to be a great blessing to all the believers.